Tuesday, January 25, 2011

One Student's Hope

Henri J.M. Nouwen once asked his college students to describe what they meant by “hope.” One of his students wrote this…

I hope I will always be for each person what that person needs me to be.

I hope that each person’s death will diminish me, but fear of my own will never diminish my joy of life.

I hope that my love for those whom I like will never lessen my love for those whom I do not.

I hope than another person’s love for me will never be a measure of my love for that other.

I hope that every person will accept me as I am, but that I never will.

I hope that I will always ask forgiveness from others, but will never need to be asked for my own.

I hope that I will always recognize my limitations, but that I will construct none.

I hope that love will always be my goal, but that love will never be my idol.

I hope that every person will always have hope.

No comments: